Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blog Slacker...or what happens when your interwebs randomly go on holiday

So this morning at some point I noticed that my chat client had booted me offline. This isn't unusual (hello Google...fix that please) so I set my status to available and watched the little curser whirl in a circle. Then I watched it some more. Then I got the news: Unavailable to contact server at google.com. I check my browser. It wasn't just google. The whole thing was down.

So I did what any sane person would do. I set a playlist going to make sure it didn't suck and I started (and completed) a project that I've been staring at for way too long.

What's that, you ask? Why WINTERIZING our casa, that's what.

The fact that Silicon Valley gets winter like Houston gets winter is beside the point. We don't need a lot of winterizing.

What we do need, is a solution to this:


No. That's not the closet door from the Poltergeist. It's our front door. Our back door is similar, but not nearly as cool to photograph.

So I broke out my new sewing machine and decided it was time. For Draft Snakes.

Step one: buy fabric that you like. A yard-ish will do. But that door is 38" wide, so I opted to go overboard and bought two yards. (Yay leftovers!)

Cut it into two 8ish inch strips and then sew up two sides - leaving the top open so you can fill it with the heavy material of your choice (beans, rice, kitty litter.)


Yes. We use the wheat litter. Because they strip mine for the clay kind. Not pictured: the funnel you're going to need. Trust me.

Then pin the ends so you don't end up with a very large mess:


 
 
Then sew up the ends and voila! Draft blockers to confuse your cats:



Here's hoping that helps some with the insulation. Every little bit counts, right?

1 comment:

  1. Niiiiiiice! I'm gonna call you kitty litter sewer from now on. Wait a second. Sewer as in a person who sews, not as in underground potty tube. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails